Devon House (1937) 729 Hay St, Perth. Architect: William T. Leighton. This cleverly designed structure with a single room to each floor demonstrates a harmonious balance of horizontal and vertical elements typical of the Inter-War Functionalist and Art Deco style. The three buildings, Devon, Gledden and P & O (Malaysian Airlines), together with the Economic (Walshes) Store on the opposite corner, make a strong collection of late nineteenth and early twentieth century commercial buildings built before the outbreak of the Second World War. Note the distinctive Art Deco lettering and decorative motifs. It was built for John R. Saunders Ltd, a leading Western Australian menswear chain with stores in Kalgoorlie and throughout the metropolitan area.