Como Theatre (Cygnet)
Como Theatre (Cygnet) (1938) Preston St, Como
Architect: WT Leighton. This theatre is a demonstration of the new functional approach to cinema design in the late 1930’s. The combination of one projection unit for both indoor auditorium and the outdoor picture garden was an innovation of the period. The tram line along Labouchere Rd and the Como jetty has long since disappeared, however the Como theatre remains a focal point in the area and still has the shop that existed then functioning as a café. It is a wonderful example of Inter-War Functionalist style of architecture by its emphasis of the vertical and horizontal aspects of the building.