Astor Theatre (1939)
Astor Theatre (1939) Beaufort and Walcott Streets intersection, Mt Lawley.
This cinema was originally named the Lyceum Theatre and extensively refurbished in the 1930’s by William T. Leighton and named the State Theatre, since renamed the Astor. The effect is mainly streamlined with the horizontal dominTant there are several geometric and figurative motifs present, including the wave (symbolizing prosperity), the chevron and the Mayan flower. The movie industry suffered great losses during and after the Great depression and the arresting facades and advertising signs were a direct result of the necessity to entice the movie-goers back into the cinemas.