Pages Menu
Categories Menu

West of the city

Gracious Art Deco house

Posted by on Sep 13, 2014 in Nedlands, West of the city | 0 comments

Gracious Art Deco house

Gracious Art Deco house. A private dwelling on the corner of Hobbs Ave and Gallop Rd, Nedlands (near Nedlands Tennis Club)

read more

Carmelite Monastry

Posted by on Sep 13, 2014 in Dalkeith, West of the city | 0 comments

Carmelite Monastry

   Carmel of the Most Holy Trinity, Carmelite Chapel (1937) 100 Adelma Rd, Dalkeith Built and designed by Horace Costello who lived in Birdwood Parade, in the Interwar Gothic...

read more

32 Genesta Crescent, Dalkeith

Posted by on Sep 13, 2014 in Dalkeith, West of the city | 0 comments

32 Genesta Crescent, Dalkeith

32 Genesta Crescent, Dalkeith (1939) A private dwelling.  This elegant residence designed by O.V.( Ossie) Chisolm for himself in the up-to- the minute streamlined moderne style and designed and built the furniture himself. It has vertical and horizontal massing of the building elements, curved porches and verandahs. Curved wrought iron balustrading, decorative panels and horizontal mullioned windows is the epitome of the Hollywood style.

read more

Karda Mordo

Posted by on Sep 13, 2014 in Dalkeith, West of the city | 0 comments

Karda Mordo

Karda Mordo,(c 1934)  53 Birdwood Parade, Dalkeith. A private dwelling.  “Karda Mordo” Aboriginal for ‘ by moving water’ – Horace Costello built this for his family in 1937, in Inter-War Romanesque in style, two story with large rooms and all decorated in the Art Deco style. It had a billiard room and a dark room, Costello was a keen photographer and developed his own photos. This style was different from the Californian Bungalow design of his house in Como which shows the development of what he considered to be up-to-date...

read more

Beatrice Rd

Posted by on Sep 13, 2014 in Dalkeith, West of the city | 0 comments

Beatrice Rd

56  Beatrice Rd, Dalkeith . A private dwelling.  A lovely example of a restored Moderne home.

read more

39 Jutland Parade,Dalkeith

Posted by on Sep 13, 2014 in Dalkeith, West of the city | 0 comments

39 Jutland Parade,Dalkeith

  39 Jutland Parade, Dalkeith . A private dwelling. “Lilstan” (1940) A WG. Bennett design also attributed to Miss Nancy Allen, it was built for well-known Turf Accountant, Stan Nicholas and his wife Lil. The name has been removed in recent decades. Bennett also designed the house at 37 which has been demolished. This up-to-the-minute modern mansion, with superb views of the Swan River, was designed to complement its near neighbours. It was a venue for many gatherings of leading figures in Perth’s...

read more

41 Jutland Parade

Posted by on Sep 13, 2014 in Dalkeith, West of the city | 0 comments

41 Jutland Parade

  41 Jutland Parade, Dalkeith. A private dwelling. One of the three imposing Nautical Moderne Art Deco buildings (originally there were four) this was designed by W.G. Bennett, although the classic residence has been attributed to Miss Nancy Allen, Bennett’s partner in the firm of Bennett, Allen and Allen, who oversaw Bennett’s office after he had enlisted for service in World War II.

read more

43 Jutland Parade “ Kylemore”

Posted by on Sep 13, 2014 in Dalkeith, West of the city | 0 comments

43 Jutland Parade “ Kylemore”

43 Jutland Parade “ Kylemore” (1937) Corner of Wattle Avenue, Dalkeith.  A private dwelling.  Designed and built by Horace Costello, this house is a wonderful example of the streamlined moderne style. The cantilever balconies with steel balustrading gives a nautical effect with curved plate glass windows and two double box framed windows each side admitting ample sunlight and air. The rounded front rooms and balconies were lifted straight from the carved aft decks of the great ocean liners of the...

read more

Victoria Avenue

Posted by on Sep 13, 2014 in Dalkeith, West of the city | 0 comments

Victoria Avenue

 Victoria Avenue ,Claremont (1939) . A private dwelling. This house was designed and built by Horace Costello and overlooks the river. He incorporated the same design of pierced balustrading for the fence as was used in the Maisonettes.

read more

Dalkeith House

Posted by on Sep 13, 2014 in Dalkeith, West of the city | 0 comments

Dalkeith House

  Dalkeith House- Architect: Marshall Clifton, built for Dr J. Day and known as The Day House, in the Spanish Mission style. A private residence.

read more

Claremont Medical Centre

Posted by on Sep 13, 2014 in Dalkeith, West of the city | 0 comments

Claremont Medical Centre

  Claremont Medical Centre former Coronado/ Highway Hotel,  Cnr Bay Rd and Stirling Hwy , Claremont  embraces principles of Streamline Moderne (with Dudok influence) but with less decoration. Designed by Reg Summerhayes, Marshall Clifton

read more

St Johns Ambulance

Posted by on Sep 13, 2014 in Claremont, West of the city | 0 comments

St Johns Ambulance

St John’s Ambulance building, Stirling Highway, Claremont (1938) A lovely example of an Art Deco amenities/industrial building  with filials and decorations painted to highlight deco...

read more

Claremont Council

Posted by on Sep 13, 2014 in Dalkeith, West of the city | 0 comments

Claremont Council

Claremont Municipal Chambers, corner of Bayview Terrace and Stirling Highway, Claremont (1935) Originally designed by Edwin Summerhayes in 1898 and the Art Deco alterations were done by his son Reginald of Summerhayes and Son. Built in a style reminiscent of American Colonial buildings, note the clock, retaining walls, ventillator turret and weather vane. Has been rebuilt with a modern addition at the rear after a disastrous fire in...

read more

Hobbs Artillery Barracks

Posted by on Sep 13, 2014 in Dalkeith, West of the city | 0 comments

Hobbs Artillery Barracks

  Hobbs Artillery Barracks, ( 1938) Stubbs Tce,  Karrakatta. Architect: Athol Hobbs, son of J.J. Talbot...

read more

Riviera Flats

Posted by on Sep 12, 2014 in Cottesloe, West of the city | 0 comments

Riviera Flats

          Riviera Flats ( 1936-38)  2 Hamersley St ( corner of Eric Street ) Cottesloe, a two story interwar block of flats built in the “Functionalist Moderne” style with a traditional hipped, clay tile roof.

read more

Cottesloe Beach Hotel

Posted by on Sep 12, 2014 in Cottesloe, West of the city | 0 comments

Cottesloe Beach Hotel

Cottesloe Beach Hotel – On the corner of Marine Parade and John St, Cottesloe. CLE HarrisonOriginally built in 1905 during the time of economic prosperity following the Gold Boom  in the late 1890’s, the present building was constructed in the Art Deco Style in 1937. Designed by Hobbs, Forbes and Partners, involving J.J. Talbot Hobbs who was a leading architect of the time and also one of the most highly decorated soldiers of...

read more

37 John St, Cottesloe

Posted by on Sep 12, 2014 in Cottesloe, West of the city | 0 comments

37 John St, Cottesloe

37 John St, Cottesloe, now John St...

read more

184 Broome St, Cottesloe

Posted by on Sep 12, 2014 in Cottesloe, West of the city | 0 comments

184 Broome St, Cottesloe

184 Broome St, Cottesloe. A private dwelling

read more

Christian Lyon Building

Posted by on Sep 12, 2014 in Cottesloe, West of the city | 0 comments

Christian Lyon Building

  Christian Lyon Building 496 Stirling Highway, Cottesloe. Built originally as an electricity substation, this elegant building has been converted into a stylish Interior Designer’s showrooms.

read more

Mosman Park Memorial Hall

Posted by on Sep 12, 2014 in Dalkeith, West of the city | 0 comments

Mosman Park Memorial Hall

Mosman Park Memorial Hall,  16 Lochee St, Mosman Park (1939) This was built as an addition to the Soldiers Memorial Hall designed by R. Oldham. The building was converted to the Art Deco style  by Kreitmeyer and Rowe in 1939 to accommodate both indoor and outdoor cinemas, as well as the local Road Board office. It was one of the rare examples incorporating cinemas with a local government building and the only picture theatre in WA to feature the word “Cinema” on the flashing sign. In 1993, the Architect Marcus Collins was commissioned to...

read more

Old Matilda Bay Brewery

Posted by on Sep 12, 2014 in West of the city | 0 comments

Old Matilda Bay Brewery

  Old Matilda Bay Brewery ( 1929) It was built by the Ford Motor Company as a car assembly plant in the same manner as its counterpart in Geelong, Victoria and was used for 60 years until leased to Brewtech. It was built along Bauhaus lines and had huge areas of glass walling creating a light and airy space, and would have been very modern for that time. Bauhaus school founder, architect Walter Gropius, introduced curtain glass walling in 1911-13 on the Fagus factory in...

read more

Dingo Flour Mill

Posted by on Sep 12, 2014 in North Fremantle, West of the city | 0 comments

Dingo Flour Mill

        Dingo Flour Mill (1922) On the corner of Stirling Highway and Queen Victoria Street, North Fremantle. Architect: J.F. Allen of Allen and Nicholas. Comprises a complex of buildings, the flour mill, offices and silos with distinctive painted  Red Dingo as a very visible logo for new arrivals to the port and anglers. It was also known as the Goodman Fields Flour Mill and was constructed in 1922. Renovated in 1940, the logo was painted then by Les Nash of Davies Sign Service. The Art Deco office was designed by Powell,...

read more