Pages Menu
Categories Menu

West of the city

Luna Cinema

Posted by on Sep 15, 2014 in Leederville, West of the city | 0 comments

Luna Cinema

        Luna Cinema  (1927). 155-159 Oxford Street,  Leederville. Architect : Samuel B Rosenthal. Designed in the Interwar Art Deco style, formerly known as the New Oxford Theatre, Nickelodeon, Olympia and Star Theatre. The two storey facade is embellished with stucco decoration and was too early to be in the Streamlined Moderne style such as the Windsor, Como and Regal theatres. The side and rear facades are functionalist in character and the theatre dominates the intersection.        ...

read more

Wembley Primary School

Posted by on Sep 15, 2014 in Wembley, West of the city | 0 comments

Wembley Primary School

Wembley Primary School, Grantham St, Wembley. It was built in 1936  most probably designed by Government Architects. It was extended in the 1940’s with major improvements to the ground in 1946/7.

read more

Wembley Theatre

Posted by on Sep 15, 2014 in Wembley, West of the city | 0 comments

Wembley Theatre

Wembley Lifecare Physiotherapy (Wembley Theatre and Gardens, later Wembley Catering Lodge) (1937) 202 Cambridge St, Wembley Designed by Frank Coote and Samuel Rosenthal and built for Mr Alexander and J.L.C. Zelinski. The theatre was a rendered brick and iron structure with a distinctive curved facade and horizontal banding, with a vertical stepped feature typical of the Art Deco style. It also included picture gardens which played an important part in the lives of Western Australians and were found in many country towns and around the...

read more

St Joseph’s Church, Subiaco

Posted by on Sep 15, 2014 in Subiaco, West of the city | 0 comments

St Joseph’s Church, Subiaco

          St Josephs Church ,Salvado Rd , Subiaco A Catholic church which opened in 1934 and was designed in the Interwar Gothic style by architect Edgar Le Blond Henderson.  

read more

KEMH Entrance

Posted by on Sep 15, 2014 in Subiaco, West of the city | 0 comments

KEMH Entrance

KEMH Entrance  374 Bagot Rd, Subiaco. King Edward Memorial Hospital for Women displays one of the most ornate facades of any building in Perth.It was designed by the Government Architects under the supervision of A.E. Clare.There are many unexpected and beautiful Art Deco features include the original lifts and the streamline concrete and steel balustrading with polished jarrah handrails. The symbolic plaque over the entrance to the 1938 hospital was designed by the sculptor Edward Kohler who was working in Perth at the time. It consists of...

read more

Regal Theatre

Posted by on Sep 15, 2014 in Subiaco, West of the city | 0 comments

Regal Theatre

Regal Theatre 474 Hay St, Subiaco   (1938) Attributed to WG Bennett based on a design which originated in the office of WT Leighton. It was built on the site of the Coliseum Gardens which was a place of entertainment. The Regal was named for King George VI who had recently ascended the throne at the time of the theatre opening.

read more

Edith Dircksey Cowan Memorial

Posted by on Sep 15, 2014 in West of the city, West Perth | 0 comments

Edith Dircksey Cowan Memorial

Edith Dircksey Cowan Memorial, (1934) At the beginning of King’s Park Rd, King’s Park.Designed by Boas and built of Donnybrook stone, the clock was originally named the Edith Cowan Memorial Clock and is thought to be the first civic monument to honour an Australian woman. Edith Cowan was the first female member of parliament.

read more

State War Memorial at Kings Park

Posted by on Sep 15, 2014 in West of the city, West Perth | 0 comments

State War Memorial at Kings Park

State War Memorial at Kings Park .  (1929) Comprised of the Court of Contemplation, Flame of Remembrance, Pool of Reflection and Anzac Bluff, it was developed around an obelisk as the principal feature, which is almost a replica of the Australian Imperial Forces Memorials erected in France and Belgium.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    ...

read more

Bellevue Mansions

Posted by on Sep 15, 2014 in West of the city, West Perth | 0 comments

Bellevue Mansions

Bellevue Mansions ( late 1920’s) 16 Bellevue Terrace, Kings park, West Perth . Architect Samuel Rosenthal. Reminiscent of the architecture in and around the Hollywood Hills and situated with Kings park at the front and views of the city and the Darling Ranges, these apartments became well-known as the most famous and glamorous couple, of their day, Laurence Olivier and Vivien Leigh stayed here while performing with the Old Vic....

read more

Wittenoom Apartments

Posted by on Sep 15, 2014 in West of the city, West Perth | 0 comments

Wittenoom Apartments

Wittenoom Apartments , ( 1939)  65-67 Mount St, West Perth.  Architect  Marshall Clifton. This apartment block was built at a time (in the early 40’s) when the affluent few who lived here, donned dinner attire and walked down Mount St for cocktails at the Esplanade Hotel, followed by dancing at the Embassy Ballroom.  There are panoramic river and city views.

read more

Carr St, West Perth

Posted by on Sep 15, 2014 in West of the city, West Perth | 0 comments

Carr St, West Perth

      The Mayfair Flats, 83 Carr St, West Perth.(1936) This beautifully kept block of flats were designed by well known architect W.G. Bennett who designed the Regal Theatre, Subiaco, Plaza Arcade and the wonderful Dyer House on the South Perth esplanade, sadly demolished. When these were built in the Interwar Moderne style, flats were only becoming fashionable and would have stood out in the street as rather ‘avant garde’. There is a symmetrical appearance with a central entrance and staircase. The name is in...

read more

74 Thomas St

Posted by on Sep 15, 2014 in West of the city, West Perth | 0 comments

74 Thomas St

      74 Thomas St, West Perth (1933) Designed by Marshall Clifton  and G.Herbert Parry this block of flats “combined an interesting and convincing manner all of Clifton’s major design preoccupations” according to Duncan Richards, Marshall Clifton Architect and artist.  

read more

Suffolk Flats Rheola St

Posted by on Sep 15, 2014 in West of the city, West Perth | 0 comments

Suffolk Flats Rheola St

  Suffolk Flats . 23 Rheola St, West Perth. Built in 1938. A two storey building originally built for residential/apartment dwelling and now used as a commercial offices. The balcony is cantilevered and attractively semi-circular with a semi-circular entrance porch to complement it. The steel ballustrading on the balcony is in keeping with the horizontal lines around the building with asymmetrical massing characteristic of this building.

read more

11 Colin St, West Perth

Posted by on Sep 15, 2014 in WA Art Deco Feature, West of the city, West Perth | 0 comments

11 Colin St, West Perth

11 Colin St, West Perth (1933) Designed by Marshall Clifton  and G.Herbert Parry this block of flats “combined an interesting and convincing manner all of Clifton’s major design preoccupations” according to Duncan Richards, Marshall Clifton Architect and artist .

read more

Attunga Flats

Posted by on Sep 15, 2014 in Subiaco, West of the city | 0 comments

Attunga Flats

Attunga Flats (1937) 103 Thomas St, Subiaco are an eye-catching feature along this busy street whose architect Marshall Clifton has them in perfect symmetry with a zig-zag pattern around the top and six distinctive curved balconies. They have been owned by the same family since 1942.

read more

Ti Amo Café

Posted by on Sep 14, 2014 in Nedlands, West of the city | 0 comments

Ti Amo Café

Ti Amo Café (1930’s)  Situated on the corner of Hampden and Palm Streets, Nedlands  (formerly known as Hollywood). Built in the style of Inter-War Art Deco with Perth regional influences. It has a commanding semi-circular corner statement, reminiscent of larger commercial buildings in Nedlands.( Nedlands Municipal  Inventory)

read more

Winthrop Hall

Posted by on Sep 14, 2014 in Nedlands, West of the city | 0 comments

Winthrop Hall

      Winthrop Hall ( 1932) 35 Stirling Highway, Crawley Designed by Melbourne architects Rodney Alsop and Conrad Sayce. Built in 1932 in the Mediterranean style, the cathedral-like venue  has a marble and mosaic foyer and vaulted ceilings with an an imposing clock tower. Over the entrance of Winthrop Hall there is a beautiful mosaic by the well-known Melbourne artist Napier Waller. The building in is contrast to the Gothic style St George’s College built in 1931 which is on the other side of Stirling...

read more

Institute of Agriculture

Posted by on Sep 14, 2014 in Nedlands, West of the city | 0 comments

Institute of Agriculture

  Institute of Agriculture (1938) Near Hackett Drive, this building which is part of the University Of Western Australia, was designed by the Architectural firm of Baxter, Cox and Leighton. On the walls of the tower are three bas-relief panels modelled by Edward Kohler, illustrating the phases in the history of agriculture and symbolising the fruitfulness of the earth, and a large panel over the main entrance which was design by William Leighton and represents Ceres, the Goddess of Agriculture. (Christine Shervington – former UWA...

read more

The Nedlands Park Masonic Hall

Posted by on Sep 14, 2014 in Nedlands, West of the city | 0 comments

The Nedlands Park Masonic Hall

The Nedlands Park Masonic Hall (1935) on the corner of Stirling Highway and Broadway, Nedlands.    Sir John Winthrop Hackett was a Grand Master of the Order now is part of UWA. The Architect  WG. Bennett, and the builder were Freemasons and has a distinctive Egyptian Art Deco façade with traditional Masonic columns, and the internal Art Deco features.

read more

Captain Stirling Hotel

Posted by on Sep 14, 2014 in Nedlands, West of the city | 0 comments

Captain Stirling Hotel

    Captain Stirling Hotel (1935)   80 Stirling Highway, Nedlands                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Marshall Clifton designed this in the Spanish Mission/Mediterranean Style. The Spanish Mission theme came from America and one example is the St Columba Church in South Perth which has a replica in North Hollywood LA. The hotel has...

read more

Art Deco Apartments

Posted by on Sep 14, 2014 in Nedlands, West of the city | 0 comments

Art Deco Apartments

Art Deco Apartments (1938) On the corner of Portland and 72 and 74 Stirling Highway, Nedlands. Designed by Harold  Krantz  from the firm of Krantz and Sheldon who designed in excess of one thousand flats each year during the three decades around the middle of the 20th Century according to Geoffrey London. Modern in design with a strong emphasis on practicality and utility. Like other small apartment blocks in this area, they were built to cater for students attending the University of Western Australia.

read more

The Maisonettes

Posted by on Sep 14, 2014 in Nedlands, West of the city | 0 comments

The Maisonettes

The Maisonettes (1934)  Stirling Highway,  Nedlands.One of the earliest blocks of flats to be built in the metropolitan area, they significant style of the new trend of building flats in Perth by the designer and builder, Horace Costello. The flats are built in the Arts and Crafts style, a precursor to Art Deco. Many traditional Gothic and English vernacular building forms and details are also incorporated. The building is a valuable link in the evolution of the architectural style that defines the suburb.

read more

Drabble House, 6 Webster St, Nedlands

Posted by on Sep 14, 2014 in Nedlands, West of the city | 0 comments

Drabble House, 6 Webster St, Nedlands

    Drabble House. 6 Webster St, Nedlands Built for Mr and Mrs Walter Drabble in the 1920’s. An Interwar example of an Arts and Craft/Californian Bungalow. It has heavy tapered brick columns typical of the style . It is now used as a community centre by the City of Nedlands.

read more

Windsor Theatre and adjacent building

Posted by on Sep 14, 2014 in Nedlands, West of the city | 0 comments

Windsor Theatre and adjacent building

Windsor Theatre and adjacent building  (1937)  98 Stirling Highway, Nedlands                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Architect – William T. Leighton. An outstanding example of a unique picture garden which were unique to Western Australian because of the mediterranean climate. It is in the Streamlined...

read more

The Former Persian Carpet Gallery

Posted by on Sep 14, 2014 in Nedlands, West of the city | 0 comments

The Former Persian Carpet Gallery

      Surrounds (The Former Persian Carpet Gallery ) (1938) Next to the Windsor Theatre on the corner of Dalkeith Rd and Stirling Highway. This is a well preserved and rare example of an Art Deco commercial premises. It enhances the streetscape on Stirling Highway together with the Windsor Theatre and was also designed by William Leighton. It has asymmetrical massing of simple geometric shapes, contrasting horizontal and vertical motifs, large area of glass. Clean lines, roof concealed behind the parapet, cantilevered hood and...

read more

Peace Memorial Rose Garden

Posted by on Sep 14, 2014 in Dalkeith, West of the city | 0 comments

Peace Memorial Rose Garden

Peace Memorial Rose Garden (1950) Stirling Highway between Louise and Vincent Streets. These beautiful gardens were designed by William G. Bennett and Associates in an honorary capacity and dedicated to the Governor of the day, Sir James Mitchell. They were established to commemorate the soldiers who gave their lives in the two World Wars. The garden is a fine and rare example of a dynamic War Memorial when compared to the statues or cenotaphs usually erected, and houses 2,000 rose bushes.

read more

Renkema Buildings, Cnr Stirling Hwy and Doonan Rd Nedlands

Posted by on Sep 14, 2014 in Nedlands, West of the city | 0 comments

Renkema Buildings, Cnr Stirling Hwy and Doonan Rd Nedlands

    Renkema Buildings, cnr Stirling Hwy and Doonan Rd, Nedlands. ( 1937) Constructed in 1937 as a group of shops in the Tudor Revival...

read more

Church of the Holy Rosary, Nedlands

Posted by on Sep 14, 2014 in Nedlands, West of the city | 0 comments

Church of the Holy Rosary, Nedlands

            Church of the Holy Rosary, (1936), corner of Elizabeth and Thomas Streets, Nedlands A Catholic Church built in the style of Gothic Revival or Interwar Romanesque. Architect; E. le B. Henderson who built St. Columba’s Church in South Perth which has similarities internally particularly the Rose window and leadlights.

read more

St Margaret’s Anglican Church

Posted by on Sep 14, 2014 in Nedlands, West of the city | 0 comments

St Margaret’s Anglican Church

St Margaret’s Anglican Church   On the Corner of Tyrell and Elizabeth Streets (1937) Architect W.G. Bennett and built in the Gothic Revival Style that clearly places it in the Inter-War period. A large Art Deco cross features prominently on each gable end. The interior furnishings and fixtures integral to the design are also the work of the architect.

read more

The Nedlands Tennis Club

Posted by on Sep 13, 2014 in Dalkeith, West of the city | 0 comments

The Nedlands Tennis Club

The Nedlands Tennis Club (1938) on the corner of Bruce St and Gallop Road it was designed by Harold Krantz and Neil Perkins who were members as well as other members of the tennis club.It has an Art Deco styled sporting pavilion which was upgraded in 1981. Harold Krantz was the nephew of Harold Boas and was well known for designing flats and the gates to Subiaco Oval.

read more