Pages Menu
Categories Menu

North of the city

Guildford Municipal Hall and Council Offices

Posted by on Nov 26, 2014 in Guildford, North of the city | 0 comments

Guildford Municipal Hall and Council Offices

Guildford Municipal Hall and Council Offices (1937) Originally built in 1900 and refurbished in 1938

read more

Guildford Town Hall

Posted by on Nov 26, 2014 in Guildford, North of the city | 0 comments

Guildford Town Hall

  Guildford Town Hall (1937) cnr Meadow St and James St ,Guildford.  Eales,Cohen and Fitzhardinge who also built the Applecross Town Hall. It is built in the classic Art Deco style. Typical of the style in this period are the ventilation grilles around the building. Fine detailed door handles with Guildford Town crest, stage , dressing rooms, male and female toilets and  projection room at Northern end of...

read more

Jezebelle’s Restaurant

Posted by on Nov 26, 2014 in Guildford, North of the city | 1 comment

Jezebelle’s Restaurant

        Jezebelle’s Restaurant (formerly Purslowe’s Funeral Parlour) on the corner of  James St and Bank St, Guildford

read more

Slovenian Hall

Posted by on Nov 26, 2014 in Guildford, North of the city | 0 comments

Slovenian Hall

  Slovenian Hall (Formerly Regent Picture Theatre and Gardens) 129–133 James St, Guildford. Also known as Garne Hall. Architect: Samuel Rosenthal. It was commissioned by George Hall Esq. as a low budget operation in times of relative economic hardship. The vestibule was small and the theatre was also to be used as a hall, so there was provision for an adequate platform stage. It has unadorned geometric forms which are shown to advantage in the ballustrading on the balcony....

read more

Guildford Fire Station

Posted by on Nov 26, 2014 in Guildford, North of the city | 0 comments

Guildford Fire Station

Guildford Fire Station (1934) Meadow St , Guildford. Built by KC Duncan. He was a fireman with the Guildford Volunteers and went on to design many fire stations in WA.  The design used for Guildford was used in other stations in WA.but the Guildford Station was unique in that it was the only house and station to be built by a municipality in WA. The bell tower still remains on site. Fire Station Quarters .  The two bed roomed house contained kitchen, lounge and area for telephone communication and external toilet. The Volunteer Fire Brigade...

read more

Sesco Security Building

Posted by on Nov 26, 2014 in Guildford, North of the city | 0 comments

Sesco Security Building

Sesco Security  Sesco Security, 215 James St. Guildford (1937) Designed by Mr K.C. Duncan as the Swan Building Society- originally located in part of old convict depot on lot now containing the Town hall and Municipal chambers. Demonstrating stepped forms and a prominent cantilevered “eyebrow” portico. Situated opposite to the Guildford Railway...

read more

Royal Western Australian Institute for the Blind

Posted by on Nov 26, 2014 in Maylands, North of the city | 0 comments

Royal Western Australian Institute for the Blind

  The West Australian Ballet Company Centre (formerly  the Royal West Australian  Institute and Industrial School for the Blind) (1937)  134 Whatley Cres, Maylands. Architect: A.E. Clare This impressive art deco style building houses the West Australian Ballet Company, and was previously known as the Senses Foundation building. It demonstrates a ‘modern’ approach of an industrial building. The style of the building  is Inter-War Stripped Classical with strong art deco detailing, and comprises of  an “L-shaped”...

read more

Queen of Martyrs Church, Maylands

Posted by on Nov 26, 2014 in Maylands, North of the city | 0 comments

Queen of Martyrs Church, Maylands

      Queen of Martyrs Church 75 Seventh Avenue ( 1924)   The church was designed by M Mullen and built by R McMullan.  The foundation stone was laid on 29 June 1924 by the then Roman Catholic Archbishop of Perth, Rev P. J. Clune.

read more

Civic Hotel

Posted by on Nov 25, 2014 in North of the city | 0 comments

Civic Hotel

Civic Hotel (1940) 981 Beaufort St, Inglewood. The Inter-War Art Deco designed hotel, located at created a social gathering place for local residents. It remains a popular venue today

read more

Civic Corner Inglewood

Posted by on Nov 25, 2014 in North of the city | 0 comments

Civic Corner Inglewood

Civic Corner Inglewood cnr Dundas Rd and Beaufort St, Inglewood.  

read more

Inglewood Hotel

Posted by on Nov 25, 2014 in Mt Lawley, North of the city | 0 comments

Inglewood Hotel

Inglewood Hotel (1936)  803 Beaufort St, Mt Lawley. The heritage listed Spanish Mission style hotel was built after the local residents petitioned for a licensed venue in the area. At the time a caveat existed for no hotels in the Mt Lawley area because, as legend has it Lady Lawley allowed the suburb to be named after her on the condition that there be no pub in the area.  

read more

St. Patrick’s Mt Lawley (1936)

Posted by on Nov 22, 2014 in Mt Lawley, North of the city | 0 comments

St. Patrick’s Mt Lawley (1936)

St. Patrick’s Mt Lawley (1936) 717 Beaufort St, Mt Lawley Designed by Herbert Parry and Marshall Clifton and consecrated by the Bishop Le Fanu, this tall and distinctive Anglican church is one of the few churches in Australia dedicated to the Irish Patron Saint, St Patrick (c. 389-461). The church organ, originally from Perth’s Trinity Church, is a Norman and Beard organ crafted in 1892.

read more

Waihemo Flats

Posted by on Nov 22, 2014 in Mt Lawley, North of the city | 0 comments

Waihemo Flats

Waihemo Flats ( 1930’s) 684-686 Beaufort St, Mt Lawley.  An example of Art Deco flats with raised lettering, curved balustrade visible from the front, glass bricks and horizontal and vertical brickwork Tuscan columns with arches and typical windows of the...

read more

Commonwealth Bank Building (1938)

Posted by on Nov 22, 2014 in Mt Lawley, North of the city | 0 comments

Commonwealth Bank Building (1938)

Commonwealth Bank Building (1938) 672 A Beaufort, Mt Lawley Constructed by A.Hill and is a streamlined version of an earlier classical style, has horizontal banding and suggestion of a finial. Since it’s construction it has always been a bank.The Edwardian Building next door has had a colourful facelift, along with most of this Mt. Lawley corner. It is not an Art Deco building.

read more

Astor Theatre (1939)

Posted by on Nov 21, 2014 in Mt Lawley, North of the city | 0 comments

Astor Theatre (1939)

Astor Theatre (1939)  Beaufort and Walcott Streets intersection, Mt Lawley. This cinema was originally named the Lyceum Theatre and extensively refurbished in the 1930’s by William T. Leighton and named the State Theatre, since renamed the Astor. The effect is mainly streamlined with the horizontal dominTant there are several geometric and figurative motifs present, including the wave (symbolizing prosperity), the chevron and the Mayan flower. The movie industry suffered great losses  during and after the Great depression and the arresting...

read more

Walcott St and Beaufort St corner

Posted by on Nov 21, 2014 in Mt Lawley, North of the city | 0 comments

Walcott St and Beaufort St corner

Walcott St and Beaufort St corner, Mt Lawley This corner is a major landmark due to the Alexander Buildings and the Beaucott Buildings together with the Astor Cinema complex. The first two buildings were built in 1911 and refurbished in the 1930’s in the “streamlined moderne” style.

read more

Beaucott Building ( 1938)

Posted by on Nov 20, 2014 in Mt Lawley, North of the city | 0 comments

Beaucott Building  ( 1938)

Beaucott Building  ( 1938) Walcott and Beaufort corner, Mt Lawley. Eye-catching lettering spells out the name on this well known William G. Bennett designed edifice and creates a focus of interest at the meeting point of two main thoroughfares. Eyebrow covered windows, finial and a curved brick parapet contribute to a sense of identity and a regional interpretation of an international style.

read more

636-646 Beaufort St

Posted by on Nov 20, 2014 in Mt Lawley, North of the city | 0 comments

636-646 Beaufort St

Guzman Y Gomez Mexican Restaurant ( previously Planet Video and the Star Garage) situated on the south-east corner of Walcott and Beaufort streets. Star garage (previously Planet Video) now Guzman and Gomez Mexican Taqueria , on the south east corner of the Walcott and Beaufort streets intersection, Mt Lawley Built as a motor garage and petrol station in 1938.   636-646 Beaufort St , Mt Lawley.

read more

Alexander Buildings (1938)

Posted by on Nov 20, 2014 in Mt Lawley, North of the city | 0 comments

Alexander Buildings  (1938)

  Alexander Buildings  (1938), corner of Walcott and Beaufort St , Mt Lawley Contains all the criteria of an Art Deco building with a corner façade, chevrons and lettering and cantilevered verandahs. It also has horizontal banding and glass blocks which have now been replaced.

read more

Clarke building (1934)

Posted by on Nov 20, 2014 in Mt Lawley, North of the city | 0 comments

Clarke building  (1934)

Clarke building  (1934) Beaufort St, Mt Lawley. This building displayed early signs of the Modernist movement. It is now the Flying Scotsman  and offices.

read more

Roslyn Flats

Posted by on Nov 20, 2014 in Mt Lawley, North of the city | 0 comments

Roslyn Flats

Roslyn Flats, 94 Walcott St, Mt Lawley Architect: John Fitzhardinge of Forbes and Fitzhardinge . Late 1930’s. The character of these apartments  is still visible, but has had a modernisation externally and is partially obscured by ironworks .   

read more

Mt Lawley Bowling Club

Posted by on Nov 20, 2014 in Mt Lawley, North of the city | 0 comments

Mt Lawley Bowling Club

Mt Lawley Bowling Club (1936 ) located on the corner of Storthes and Rookwood St, Mt Lawley. The Club was founded in 1909 and The Ladies Club was founded in 1921 and by 1923 membership was large enough to justify another two greens with lighting. The original clubrooms designed by W.G. Bennett in 1936  in the Art Deco style were extensively refurbished by  the City of Stirling...

read more

274 Walcott St, Menora

Posted by on Nov 20, 2014 in Mt Lawley, North of the city | 0 comments

274 Walcott St, Menora

274 Walcott St, Menora. A private dwelling. The former house of Dr Carl Georgeff, a well known Bulgarian doctor in the area. Architect unknown but built by a designer builder according to the Art Deco Society of WA. Demonstrating the horizontal banding typical of the Moderne style.

read more

The Breckler House, Menora

Posted by on Nov 20, 2014 in Mt Lawley, North of the city | 0 comments

The Breckler House, Menora

The Breckler House (1937) 19 Alexander Drive, Menora. A private dwelling.  The substantial Inter War residence is the largest example of the work of designer/builder Horace Costello for the prominent businesswoman Mrs Fanny Breckler who had the Betts and Betts shoe chain. A significant landmark building with Art Deco interior detailing and represents the growth of the Perth metropolitan area and the development of Menora in the 1930’s. It had a large ballroom on the second floor and was sympathetically renovated in the...

read more

13 Melrose Crescent

Posted by on Nov 19, 2014 in Mt Lawley, North of the city | 0 comments

13 Melrose Crescent

13 Melrose Crescent , Menora  (1938) A private dwelling.  Designed by W.G. Bennett , this landmark residence with it’s curved verandah and horizontal lines is typical of the streamlined moderne style.

read more

19 Melrose Crescent

Posted by on Nov 19, 2014 in Mt Lawley, North of the city | 0 comments

19 Melrose Crescent

19 Melrose Crescent, Menora (1938) A private dwelling. A classic and elegant Art Deco home has a brown brick exterior, contoured walls, a tiled roof and curved windows which allow for abundant natural light.

read more

29 Elstree Ave

Posted by on Nov 19, 2014 in Mt Lawley, North of the city | 0 comments

29 Elstree Ave

29 Elstree Ave, Menora (1934) A private dwelling. Built and designed by Horace Costello, this distinctive inter-war home was built in what was then known as Mt Lawley number 2 estate. It was built for the Brennan family who founded Golden West cordials and Gest soft drink company. The bathroom had the first-ever enclosed shower to be installed in a Perth home, before that everyone showered in the bath tub.

read more

Lincoln St Ventilation Tower (1941)

Posted by on Nov 18, 2014 in Highgate, North of the city | 0 comments

Lincoln St Ventilation Tower (1941)

  Lincoln St Ventilation Tower (1941) Built on the corner of Lincoln and Smith Streets the sewer tower was built with similar proportions to New York skyscrapers, to vent sewage fumes into  the atmosphere. The tower is 38 metres tall and built in the industrial Art Deco style. Inadequate design led residents to complain of unpleasant smells and the base of the tower was cemented over to render it non-functional. The tower was referred to as Dumas’ Folly after engineer RJ Dumas. In 1942, the police wireless facility was secretly moved to...

read more

Glendower Flats

Posted by on Nov 18, 2014 in Highgate, North of the city | 0 comments

Glendower Flats

Glendower Flats (1938) 15 Glendower St,  a group of three flats, situated near Hyde Park. Displaying Art Deco features.    

read more

Bowra and O’Dea

Posted by on Nov 18, 2014 in North of the city, Northbridge | 0 comments

Bowra and O’Dea

Bowra and O’Dea (formerly Pensioner Funeral Parlour ) (1937) 406 Beaufort Street, Highgate.

read more