John Curtin High School Manual Arts
John Curtin High School Manual Arts , (1943) 90 Ellen St, Fremantle
Constructed in 1943 to replace the Fremantle Technical School in South Terrace which had been taken over for defence purposes in 1941.
The oval is on the site of the old Skinner St Cemetery which had been established in 1852. The broken headstones were transferred to Fremantle Cemetery in Carrington St in the 1930’s. This elegant building is typical of the new style of architecture (Functionalist) for education, good to look at but more easily and efficiently constructed.