The Former Persian Carpet Gallery
Surrounds (The Former Persian Carpet Gallery ) (1938)
Next to the Windsor Theatre on the corner of Dalkeith Rd and Stirling Highway.
This is a well preserved and rare example of an Art Deco commercial premises. It enhances the streetscape on Stirling Highway together with the Windsor Theatre and was also designed by William Leighton. It has asymmetrical massing of simple geometric shapes, contrasting horizontal and vertical motifs, large area of glass. Clean lines, roof concealed behind the parapet, cantilevered hood and curved façade. The decorations feature a Mayan flower design. It was also a popular venue called “The Flamingo” in the 60’s.