Pages Menu
Categories Menu

East of the city

323-327 Albany Hwy, Victoria Park

Posted by on Mar 12, 2015 in East of the city, Vic Park | 0 comments

323-327 Albany Hwy, Victoria Park

Coolgardie Chambers (1934) Corner of King George St and Albany Hwy, Victoria Park Corner setting, opposite to Harrold’s Chambers, built in Inter-War Art Deco style.

read more

Harrold’s Chambers ,323-327 Albany Hwy

Posted by on Mar 12, 2015 in East of the city, Vic Park | 0 comments

Harrold’s Chambers ,323-327 Albany Hwy

      Harrold’s Chambers (1934) 323-327 Albany Hwy,  Corner of King George St and Albany Highway,Victoria Park Built in the Inter-War Art Deco style for Edmund Joseph Harrold.        ...

read more

St Peter’s Anglican, (1935)

Posted by on Nov 13, 2014 in East of the city, Vic Park | 0 comments

St Peter’s Anglican, (1935)

St Peter’s Anglican, (1935) 11 Leonard St, Victoria Park. ( just off Albany Hwy) Architects: Herbert Parry and Marshall Clifton built this church  with an imposing “Romanesque” style façade and a well-proportioned “Mediterranean” type external detail that blends well with the Art Deco interior detailing.

read more

United Friendly Societies Building

Posted by on Nov 13, 2014 in East of the city, Vic Park | 0 comments

United Friendly Societies Building

United Friendly Societies Building 547-553 Albany Highway (1940) It was built on the site of one of the first soap factories in WA. Sited as a corner shop with an Art Deco facade with a simple monopitch corrugated iron roof. Friendly Society Dispensaries were first established in Australia in the 1840’s. They were established as a direct response to two significant problems of the day – one was the high cost of medicines and the fact that many chemists commonly adulterated their drugs. So they had the philosophy of a true...

read more

Armadale District Hall

Posted by on Nov 13, 2014 in Armadale, East of the city | 0 comments

Armadale District Hall

Armadale District Hall (1935) Cnr of Jull St and Church Ave, Armadale.                                                                                                                                                                             Architects: Oldham, Boas and Ednie- Brown . This building represents the architecture of a significant period of prosperity and development in the district during the mid to late 1930s. The Hall was opened by the Lieut. Governor, Sir James Mitchell in 1936. Like many other district halls built at the...

read more

36 Jull St, Armadale

Posted by on Nov 13, 2014 in Armadale, East of the city | 1 comment

36 Jull St, Armadale

  Ray White Real Estate, 36 Jull Street, Armadale (1950) Architect : Marshall Clifton and Leach, an intact example of the Interwar Old English style. It is characterized by the steep pitched roof, porch entrance and the ornate chimney. It was built as a residence and surgery for Dr and Mrs Colyer, he was the town’s first full time resident doctor.  

read more

Ye Olde Narrogin Inne

Posted by on Nov 13, 2014 in Armadale, East of the city | 0 comments

Ye Olde Narrogin Inne

Ye Olde Narrogin Inne, (1937)   Cnr of Albany and South Western Highways Armadale. Architect: John Fitzhardinge . This building is designed in the Tudor Revival style by is an important landmark building with historical significance at this junction forming the main gateway to Armadale. This building replaced the original staging Inn erected in 1857.

read more

Canning Dam

Posted by on Nov 13, 2014 in Armadale, East of the city | 0 comments

Canning Dam

Canning Dam (1940) McNess Drive , Royleystone. Work commenced in 1933 which gave jobs to men suffering from the hardships of the Great Depression. Built on the Darling escarpment, it was innovative and the structural and hydrolic design was considered to be at the forefront of concrete gravity design at that time.

read more

Contour channel and Pipeline Entry Basin

Posted by on Nov 13, 2014 in Armadale, East of the city | 0 comments

Contour channel and Pipeline Entry Basin

Contour channel and Pipeline Entry Basin( 1935-1937), Lot 50 Canning Mills Rd, Kelmscott. The Contour Channel carried water from Canning Dam to the metropolitan area entirely by gravity without any pumps and was operational for nearly 40 years until 1979 when it was made redundant. Building it during the Great Depression was back-breaking work but provided work for 250 men and their needy families.

read more